What is high school like in 2023?

n one word, my highschool could be described as divided. Being surrounded by people in the same age group your entire life and seeing the end of your experience in reach. It can make you reminisce about the time in your youth, where everybody loved everyone and you were united. A class, a friend group, surrounded by people who support you, but as you get older the protectant circle shrinks and it can be hard to see yourself in the light they saw you. 

We got a brand new building in 2022, I believe it to be remodeled after an airport. Every group of classes is clustered together, in different buildings under the same fluorescent lighting. If you don’t have your friends in your classes the sad truth is you may not see them during the school day. The community you have built for yourself is gone, disintegrated under the new concrete slabs. Leaving you isolated and forced to reach out to create a new support circle, however, it is more difficult than you would think. Reconnecting with your roots after years of being separated can put even more weight on your shoulders than the full schedule of classes you are taking. 

I think the pandemic played a large part in the separation of grades and groups. Pre-Covid people were a lot more social, but during people tended to stick with the people they knew better than the random people they passed in the hallways. Socializing became a fragile concept for most nations.

In my opinion, I believe COVID has left its mark on everyone’s lives. Whether that be within their families, mental health, or an internalized fear of enduring the unknown once again. During the highly contagious spread of a virus, we were told to distance ourselves from people. We continue to do that today, not just physically but emotionally as well. 

I am a Senior this year. My high school experience thus far has been mediocre. There have been lots of ups and downs throughout these last four years. The education has not been as stimulating, and I feel as if I’m not learning anything new. The community has split within our district, or perhaps even just my grade. I think that Covid did take a lot away from my four years at Ames High but also gave me a more unique experience than most could say they had. 

High School in 2024: Adolescents unattached mentally and emotionally in all aspects of school.

Credit: Alamy Stock Photo
Credit: Ames Community District Website

Compare and contrast the images above, if there was no school logo, would you be able to tell the difference between the high school and airport?

4 thoughts on “What is high school like in 2023?”

1. I think this has a lot of good aspects, Including how the feelings are protrayed. I also think it needs to be polished because it is very long and could be shorted? Good job overall I feel like I have very simliar feelings.

2. I think that the author does a great job of convaying emotions in this writing. I also think they could make it shorter because it seems like a lot of words. Overall great job and I feel simliar to how they feel.

3. The tone and emotion are definitely illustrated in this writing along with good comparisons to get the reader familiar with the setting.
    I wonder why you feel every student is affected this way. I personally view school differently so it’s interesting to understand a different perspective.
    I think that the pictures might not be necessary.

4. I love your topic choice for this essay. One question I have is, how did the divisions you saw in this new school environment impact you personally. One polish I would have is for you to include more of your personal experience not just in the last paragraph because that gives another dimension to the essay.